NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ironman - active character issue
PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 09:52 

One of the assumptions with non-solo IM sessions is that everyone is active in some meaningful way. Indeed, this is addressed in the old tournaments hosted by Shade:

Quote:
Only 2-, 3- and 4- man teams are allowed to participate!
◦Note: Every team-member has to be an active and “real” participant. It is strictly forbidden to let one or more characters remain AFK.

http://freshmeat-blog.de.tl/Rules-%26-Scoring-Sheet%3Cbr%3E%A0%A0%A0%A0-STH.htm

But just what constitutes being an active member? In a number of 2 person warrior + sorcerer (I being the sorcerer), there have been circumstances where I have simply waited guarding a door while the warrior explored/lured. Usually such cases involved hidden types prowling about - hence trying to minimize risk to the sorcerer.

In an extreme hypothetical situation, a warrior could decide to only be a repair robot and not bother to assist in combat. Can essentially make a solo rogue attempt with double inventory space and significantly less anxiety of weapon depletion.

One can see there are means to easily neuter the challenge. I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this issue.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Ironman - active character issue
PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 20:15 

Ask Foxhound how he feels about being a healbot for 40 hours during our adventures :P He does get to shine and actually save the runs when the rest of the team screws up but those are rare occasions.

That said, just having a companion no matter how little he can participate for long periods of time is absolutely worth it and I would never take any credits away from my teamates even if all they did was recharge my staves for 3 entires difficulties!

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Ironman - active character issue
PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 20:31 

This is one of the biggest reasons why I do not take Ironman seriously and never start one with the intentions of winning.

Playing in such a, err, tactical (LOL) way really takes the heart out of it for me.

ProfileTristr.am Profile