NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions About Armor Class
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 05:08 

Quick question, say i have a helmet with 6ac to make my ac a total of 30. Then another helmet with 4ac but enough dexterity to make my ac a total of 30. Will both items have the same exact effective ac? I was in the caves earlier fighting golems and they weren't landing hits very often. I picked up a helm resulting in a similar situation as described above. My displayed ac was the same but suddenly the same type of golem started landing hits like 50% of the time. I'm wondering if the golems just got lucky or if it is actually better to have ac from items rather than the dexterity bonus. Unless it just barely bumped my ac up to the next whole number and it factors in partial ac (which i highly doubt it does)

Another thing i have wondered, are there "ac breakpoints" so to speak? Like are there specific numbers i should try to hit for certain monsters or levels? I've been doing iron man runs and i want to know when it is better to sacrifice damage for more armor or vice-versa. It seems like sometimes i will put on a shield that only has +2 more ac than my last one and i will get hit substantially less by a certain enemy.

If neither of these points i brought up are even a thing, it would be great if somebody could list the optimal AC values per level. Like the ideal amount of armor that i should have before starting each level as to not get destroyed.

I would love to hear about any other general tips regarding AC as well. Especially if they are iron man specific tips. Thanks! Glad you guys are still slaying.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Questions About Armor Class
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 12:16 

Unlike Diablo 2, Diablo doesn't have breakpoints bullshit. If displayed armor class is the same, it is the same indeed. But with the item that gives dexterity you also gain a bonus to hit and to block (the latter being most important). All the formulas on armor class, to hit and to block you can find in Jarulf's guide - I could write them down here, but don't wan't to make any mistakes. The more armor class you have, the better, but in Iron man you will get to a point when your armor class is just not enough and you will have to rely on your block more. Some rather ridiculous situations with armor class can occur: in a three-player iron man that I did with Plague and FoxHound as the warrior there was this level on Nightmare, level 13 IIRC, not sure anymore, which had lava maws and blood knights - with thhe armor class that I had at the time, lava maws had the lowest possible to hit against me (15%), while the blood knights had the highest (95%) - now that was weird! But that's the result of their own level and to hit differences.

2 more points to armor class means monsters have 2% less chance at hitting you, unless theit to-hit formula still stays at the maximum of 95%, or is already at the minimum (15%). On levels 14, 15 and 16, minimum to-hit of enemies is hard-capped at 20%, 25%, and 30% respectively. On levels other than those, the hard cap for minimum ranged attack accuracy is 10%, which is a bit lower than melee.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 12:39 

I always found this to be very helpful when playing IM or messing around with PVM builds:

http://freshmeat-blog.de.tl/Armor-Class-_-Calculator.htm

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 09:23 

Cool thanks guys. I either forgot or never noticed that dexterity gives block chance... i mean it obviously does because that is part of the reason why you max dex first as a warrior, but i never thought about that in terms of +dexterity items. Interesting.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 16:22 

Indeed, +dex items are among the best defensive ones. Few things are as important as good block for a warrior in iron man. If you block is low you have to resort to those steping back shenanigans to try and hit the enemy as they approach your tile, giving them less of a chance to strike you. The technique is unapplicable in door chokepoints, though, but then, in those places having good block shouldn't be that much of an issue, unless it's like late caves.

ProfileTristr.am Profile