NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best in Slot (BIS) Gear - Sorcerer
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2016, 22:43 

Hello everyone,

I am a returning player and I am curios of the BIS gear for the sorc class.

I have watched the gear through CharacterDB which has given me a picture of what the seasoned players here tend to use. Ive also watched a few videos. Most of the gear makes sense, others I am a bit more curios as to why players choose it.

This is my conclusion gear wise (might differ PVE/PVP):

Head: Thinking cap (TC)
Chest: Naj's light plate (NAJ)
One handed: Dreamflange (DF)
Shield: Stormshield
Amulet: +x mana, +x magic
Ring: Resist all x, +x magic
Ring: Resist all x, +x magic / Resist all x, fastest hit recovery (if this combo is possible)

TC, NAJ and DF are given due to their unique abillity to increase spell level. The Stormshield however is a bit less given in my opinion. I have understood it has the highest AC in the game of all shields, is this simply why it is concidered BIS? Indestructable is nice repaircost-wise but is not a contribution to gameplay. Other shields also have "fast block". Is SS special and faster than other shields even though they share the exact same specific text/prefix regarding blocking?

I have noticed that many do not slot an item with fastest hit recovery. Is this unnecessary in PVE because you "should avoid getting hit" and only concidered necessary in PVP?

Hope to hear some of your views on this!

Thanks in advance and hope to see you out there :)

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Best in Slot (BIS) Gear - Sorcerer
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 01:12 

I think the more seasoned players prefer wearing cursed gear on a sorcerer :)

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Beyond_Naked_Mage_101

Yes those are all the best in slot options, as far as I know. As far as not using Stormshield because you're not supposed to get hit anyway, that would mean you don't need any resist all on your jewelry. You will get hit, and a lot of those hits will be from arrows. Keep a Stormshield (or Holy Defender if you're weak).

I recommend avoiding giving your new sorcerer anything from your higher level characters. It takes away the challenge and makes the game boring.

I do sometimes transfer an item from one character to another, but I make the recipient kill Diablo first. It guarantees that I don't give my character something boringly overpowered for his level.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 02:17 

It all depends on which build you are going for. The common build you are referring to is what is called "artilery mage" which aims for high spells and mana while using speed and sheer power as your offense and defense, rather than high armor class.

Stormshield is nice on sorc but hardly BIS for a classic Artillery build, its more suited for a Tank/Battle mage build (see below). For Arty you want a Crimson/Garnet Brill, to push your mana to the maximum since the ac from SS won't benefit you anyway. If you really must have the fast block, you can use a Holy Defender or a Crimson Shield of Blocking, w/o worrying about strength requirements. The noted uniques along with 3 x Dragons Wizardry jewels make up the basic build. Obsidian Wizardry and Obsidian Harmony/Dragons Harmony jewels can be used alternanativly as needed, in particular if you want to play an Arch-Mage (getting lvl 20 spells with staff for maximum power, though at the cost of solid mana). It should be noted that while the Artillery variant is pretty easy to build overall, Dragon's Wizardry are extremely rare and most often you will have to settle for plain Wiz rings/amulet for a while before you find a decent Dragon's Wiz set.

Hit recovery is nice in PvM but not absolutely necessary, unless you are playing in areas where archers are present. It just depends on how you play as well as your skill level. If you find yourself frequently getting stunlocked it might be a wise choice to use.

PvP is a different story....a Sorc will absolutely need to use Harmony when dueling a Bow Rogue, or even vs. a skilled Warrior depending on how good you and your opponent are, and the latency conditions.

For a Tank mage, BIS is Royal Circlet, Stormshield, Awesome full plate of Harmony or Sorcery, and Obsidian/Dragons jewels of the Zodiac. You can also swap out Dreamflange for a Kings sword of Haste, to give the Sorc melee capabilities if need be, known as the "Battlemage" (BM) build. My sorc has the ability to play all these builds (there is also a BM/Artillery hybrid variant).

My sorc, with classic Artillery gear equipped and alt gear in inventory:

http://www.tristr.am/character.php?characterid=3087

P.S., Storm Shield doesn't have the highest AC of any shield in ghe game. That title goes to Godly Shield of the Ages, though SS would certainly be a better choice for Mage cause of the +str and fast blocking :)

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 23:25 

FireIceTalon wrote:
If you really must have the fast block, you can use a Holy Defender or a Crimson Shield of Blocking, w/o worrying about strength requirements.
+4 damage from enemies is somewhat of a problem against lightning-casting enemies (lightning demons, cabalists) as lightning hits rapidly for a little amount of damage. While dfe applies before resistances and it would then cut down to +1 dfe with max resistance it would still hurt sufficiently with the rapidity of lightning. Holy Defender, however, has -2 dfe which will a little bit decrease damage taken from lightning. While -0.5 dmg is almost nothing when fireballs and blood stars are concerned, it will make a change with lightning. As far as getting the high AC to be indeed hard to hit by melee hell/hell enemies, I have not looked into it for many years, since I've not been playing a high sorcerer for a long time. Might pick it up again, though.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 23:35 

Have you ever played a high level tank mage before? Cabalists and Storms are a complete joke for any mage, especially a Tank. Basically, everything in hell/hell is really, except triple immunes and some of the lightning resistant foes.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2016, 17:28 

I think I have, but not with the best tank gear, and it was years ago. I really need to pick it up and scour the rust away.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 19:19 

I might be boring, but if i had access to all gear, i would go with:

Royal circlet
Awesome full plate of sorcery
Dreamflange
Stormshield
2x Obsidian ring of the zodiac
Dragon's amulet of wizardry

Great AC, max resist, fast block
Slightly less mana and less fireball lvl's i guess.

Another option is:
Thinking cap
Naj's light plate
Dreamflange
Garnet shield of Brilliance
3 Dragon's jewel of wizardry

Maximizes mana, +4 all spells. Doesn't have max lightning resist, but the most dangerous monsters dont use lightning anyway.

And a third option:
Thinking cap
Naj's light plate
2 Dragon's jewel of wizardry
1 Obsidian jewel of wizardry
Bountiful staff of apocalypse

Max all res, +3 spells and the awesome apocalypse spell for triple resists.

My main point is that there are multiple builds, with different BIS.

I think the tanky version might have too much armor class at lvl 50?

Also, you probably don't want too high level chain lightning because of the sprite limit.

ProfileTristr.am Profile