NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Hack] Torch
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 20:27 
Site Admin

Hmm, it says "Alt Gr" on my right alt-key, are they called something else on american keyboards? :D Anyway, it's the right alt, and when i tried it only the left alt worked.

Yep, I'm the author of DiabloStats.

DiabloStats does use a WM_TIMER for the update, the timers identifier is 5 if you want to experiment with calling it externally.
This timer has an interval of 20 seconds and runs the update every time, however DiabloStats 1.5 (the next release) will have a 1 second timer interval counting down from 20 to 0, since the countdown will be displayed to the user.

If it would help i could certainly look into posting a message to the Diablo process for the next release of DiabloStats, i haven't done this before so i need to look into it a bit (i'm not very experienced with win32-programming in general).

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 22:04 

I'll make a test app and play with PostMessage a little. It looks possible, especially with the ChangeWindowMessageFilter Win32 API. That looks like it would let us send WM_USER messages around (apparently they are blocked by default).

Both of my keys just say "Alt", and both work for me with my current code. I'll make it so you can push the key you want and see if that works.

I can always send 20 WM_TIMER messages if I need to.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 01:33 

Thank you, Thank you!!

This is pretty amazing. I love the alt function! I didn't think I would like it when I first heard about it in d2 years ago. I kinda liked the challenge of finding jewels. These days however, my hearing isn't as good as it used to be, especially in the "ding" frequency for my left ear.

I am surprised at how fast monsters regenerate life! I had no idea it was that fast. The monster HP bar is really cool.

The experience bar will be fun when lvling up low characters. It's just depressing to have it on my main chars in their 40's hah.

The time feature is really sweet! I have to admit I turn it off though...I like being on Tristram Savings Time...for the most part!

Edit: Itunes...am I the only one that has been listening to Matt Uelman's masterpiece for 15 years?? Hehe.

I love the options menu, keep it up! On that note I would like to make a couple suggestions:

1: Items showing up as they hit the ground is very very distracting. I actually am using an older version to avert this.

2: This mod shows the value of un-id'd items(hard for me to stay true to the legit spirit with this). I would very much like the ability to turn this feature off, as I believe someone else suggested, as it clutters up the inventory screen.

3: The monster health bar is in a distracting location also. I hope it would be easy to keep it a non permanent fixture and still be able to move it's location(and size?) I'd like to move the time to a top corner also.

4: Holy shiznay this is cool! I will definitely be using this for a long time. If only Ulmo's Stash was a .dll like this(so I could use on b.net) I'd be in hog heaven! You the man, man.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 04:39 

Updated again.

Revamped Options window to have tabs. Keeps it simple now, with more room for expansion later. I added options to disable inventory values and item auto-highlighting.

Inventory values of items that are unidentified are now shown with ?? instead of the identified value.

Added some more key codes to the auto-highlighting. Let me know if this works with Alt Gr now. I couldn't really find any example for reading the state of that button with GetAsyncKeyState(), I settled for the right alt button code (you can refer to them individually or collectively in this case, I was previous doing it collectively for all alt keys).

Where would you put the monster life bar if you had a choice? Since it only appears while hovering over a monster its a little difficult to do drag-n-drop type stuff. I'm not against an option for a secondary "mini" life bar that shows up somewhere else.

My first tests for the life bar actually put one over each monster. It was always there, and a bright red color, and also moved in a very chunky way (didn't fluidly follow the monster). Now THAT was distracting! Good thing I decided to lose that idea and use the D2 style bar.

Getting some good feedback guys, keep the suggestions coming. I've been thinking about putting shrine effects over the shrine when the mouse is on it, and showing durability indicators when an equipped item loses durability.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 08:47 

Tiron wrote:
I've been thinking about putting shrine effects over the shrine when the mouse is on it...

Sounds fantastic - as a noob, i often have to tab out to check their effects.

I would prefer the white/yellow bar for exp. Perhaps it could be moved under the information box.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 10:20 

Thanks for your efforts Tiron! This modification is really a great enhancement. I'd never imagine someone would be able to do such a thing, especially not for a game which is as old as Diablo. So far it works flawlessly for me. I will certainly use this nifty mod from now on. Keep up the great work! :-)

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 13:25 
Site Admin

Tiron, here is "Ulmos stash" hack with included source http://pagesperso-orange.fr/Ulmo-WebPag ... oStash.zip
...in case you want to look how the stash is made.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 16:26 

Just tried it for the first time since your original release.
Pretty impressive, the alt function is just.. Man. It's so awesome.
I haven't decided how I feel about the automatically showing items. Can be handy for playing at low/no volume but at the same time I find it pretty distracting. I think I can get used to it. After 16 17 years I'm pretty tired of most of the sounds and music in d1 and like to listen to music while I play, which often covers up the clings and dings. So I think it's a good thing. Would be nice if the boxes were smaller, although that's probably not possible (or at least very difficult).

My next point: That hideous bright beige-ish color again.
I'd very much like to never see that color again, other than to point out stairs on the map.
I think it would be much nicer if the borders of both the item windows and your menu boxes/buttons were the same color as the border of the life bar, or some other shade of gold. Golds are commonplace in the game and would look natural. When you open a dialogue with townspeople the window border is mostly that color, roughly. I realize it has little details to look nicer and I'm not asking for that. There just has to be something to fit better than that nasty bright color.

By the way the new translucent exp bar is nice. Big improvement in my opinion.

As for suggestions for additions I'm drawing blanks. The initial shock of being able to alt to see items hasn't worn off yet, so all I can think of at the moment is how awesome that is. Great work.

Edit: Just thought of something.. I think in D2 you could select your active spell with the scroll wheel.. That would be sweet.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 19:13 

I thought that bright gold color was pretty similar to the borders on Diablo's built-in dialogs. Since it seems a lot of people dislike it, I'll look for a more mellow shade to use.

I actually have been able to get the game to draw some of those built-in dialogs for me. Specifically, I've been able to show the one for "Automap not available in town" by setting a flag telling that game to draw that one. I also have figured out how to call a Diablo function that draws images. The built-in dialogs are created using an X,Y coordinate, a width/height, and some sort of image ID. The problem is that if I call this function from my code, Diablo crashes later down the road (2 or 3 frames later). I'm able to see the corner of a box for a moment before it crashes though. If I can find out what loose end I need to tie up, I could be using the better looking edges on my own windows.

That code for Ulmos stash looks like just a shell for someone to create their own plugin with. Nothing in there actually stashes or retrieves items for you.

Stashing to me has always seemed to be a little more on the non-legit side. When I was younger I didn't play legit. I duped items everywhere, and tried out lots of trainers. Honestly it made me suck at playing, and would get bored easy. I play strictly legit now, the game just isn't as fun if its not legit.

I feel like the tetris style inventory and lack of space is a central part of gameplay. Can I afford to carry this item? Can I afford to carry this much gold? I like how it forces you to make decisions that aren't reversible and can effect you down the road. Maybe this is just me, but the lack of space seems almost intentional.

I can build a stash into this if you guys want. I would just be another window that you can open/close whenever you like. I'd probably make it so you hold CTRL and click on an inventory item to add it to the stash. I would make it only available while in town though. Thoughts on this?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 19:32 

People are going to stash one way or another. Either by a 3rd party program or by mules, which is a horribly inconvenient 2 player operation. I'd love an ingame stash.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next