NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Hack] Torch
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 19:37 
Site Admin

Tiron wrote:
I can build a stash into this if you guys want. I would just be another window that you can open/close whenever you like. I'd probably make it so you hold CTRL and click on an inventory item to add it to the stash. I would make it only available while in town though. Thoughts on this?

Yea that sounds like a great idea. How will the items be saved in? All to one file or every item on each file?

If you are playing with all three classes its great to have some sort of muling or program to export items. For example if you find Dreamflange with your Warrior and want to transfer it to your Sorcerer...

Keep up the good work. Im really amazed how good this hack turns out.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 20:15 

I'm truly impressed, as everyone here, great job! I have a few minor suggestions.

- I saw that other people mentioned Ulmo's Stash, would be really great if you can allow the injector to load the stash's dll, so that we can play on Bnet and still have a stash

- The color scheme I think is too bright as it was suggested. After you fixed the progress bar it looks great, if you can make all the surround box yellow the same as the progress bar yellow, I think all the menus and boxes will look better

- The options menu is activated by clicking on the left box, and can be moved by the right box. As small as they are they still take space from the active field of the game. I think it can be better if you can allow them to be dragged at the very bottom of the screen, even thought they might overlap the menu button, or the spell button. If overlapping is not possible, I would rather see only one fixed small rectangle at the bottom right corner, just to the right of the spell button. Another option, which I think would be even better is to have a shortcut button that can open the options. For example "T", and I think if mentioned in the readme file it will be easy enough for people to remember.

- A minor thing is the iTunes inside the options. I don't use iTunes, but Winamp, and maybe other people use other programs. I think if you create a separate dll for iTunes users, it will make the mod a little cleaner. iTunes is not part of the game, and I think it would be simpler if it can be left out of the mod simply for a more cleaner look.

- The Item highlight with the surrounding yellow box I think is a little too big. Ichabod mentioned that if the font can be a little smaller it might be better, but maybe it's not possible. Better yet, I think if you can eliminate the highlight box, like the way the clock is, and only have the letters, it would be improvement. Another idea is to have 2 options, one to show the words of the items on the ground, and another option is to have item highlights similar to the way search monk skill/scroll work in Hellfire. It also shows items with blue on the map. If all the items on the ground get highlighted in a color slightly different than the highlight color when the mouse cursor is over an item, I think that would still make all the items very apparent and easy to find/distinguish. I think this is true even without having their names displayed, and if both options are available people can decide which one they would prefer to use.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 21:12 

GORE wrote:
Tiron wrote:
I can build a stash into this if you guys want. I would just be another window that you can open/close whenever you like. I'd probably make it so you hold CTRL and click on an inventory item to add it to the stash. I would make it only available while in town though. Thoughts on this?

Yea that sounds like a great idea. How will the items be saved in? All to one file or every item on each file?

If you are playing with all three classes its great to have some sort of muling or program to export items. For example if you find Dreamflange with your Warrior and want to transfer it to your Sorcerer...

Keep up the good work. Im really amazed how good this hack turns out.

I would save them all in one big file, probably just stick it in the Diablo directory. They are 368 bytes each, so size isn't a big concern.

My injector is not directly tied to Diablo. Inject.bat is a batch file that points it to Diablo, open it up with Notepad and take a look. It would be a 5 second job to point it to a different DLL (or a different process). You're welcome to try injecting the stash DLL with this. I had to make my own injector since I couldn't find any for Diablo that worked on Win7.

Once you cover the bottom section of the screen with something, Diablo caches that and uses it again later. You can see examples of this in my first screenshots where OPTIONS and ITUNES are shown just above the belt. Those are not supposed to be there. I've fixed it with text for now (I just stop drawing text that low), but drawing stuff down there isn't an option until I figure out how to get Diablo to redraw that area of the screen.

Those are pretty tiny boxes I used for the taskbar. I really can't make it much smaller and still have text fit inside when its open. Same with the boxes around items, that is the smallest text I've been able to get Diablo to use. I have to put them somewhere in the gameplay area, and I figured the bottom corners were as good a place as any.

To do list:

- Use the registry to save settings and window positions
It badly needs this, its a huge bother to me where I need to re-close all my windows that I rarely or never use (like iTunes) every time I launch Diablo.

- Tone down colors

- Button to sync DiabloStats

- Stash

- Different item highlighting options

- Battle.net Warden protection?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 02:10 

It looks like the ability to see the value of blue items BEFORE they are identified has been removed in the latest version. While I understand concerns of legit players, on the other hand the original game doesn't show life remaining for monsters.... Of course I'm only saying it because I brought two blue items to town and it turned out they were 1 gold sell values. :-P Would it be possible to add an option for that so players can decide? At first I wondered if it would affect the XP contests in the leaderboard here but then I realized that top XP gainers focus on killing rather than picking and rearranging stuff in their inventories.

Great job with the mod so far. The Alt key to show items feature is amazing. I would like to suggest the ability to show chests. I believe that is what D2 did with the Alt key - show items on ground and chests. In D1 sometimes chests are hidden by 3-D walls and you wouldn't notice them unless accidentally mouse over them.

Perhaps you could show the # of gold value in the pop up window. Smaller font, if possible, would be good too in case there is a pile of multiple items.

Once again, impressive work. Now I fire it up as well as DiabloStats every time I play!

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 04:19 

From the post above it becomes apparent that everybody wants different things, and it would be great to have some more options. I decided to take a screenshot of the effect of the Search skill of the Monk in Hellfire in case it wasn't clear what I was describing in the previous post.
Attachment:
search.jpg
search.jpg [ 95.77 KiB | Viewed 38209 times ]

It would be nice to have an option to chose the way we want the items on the ground (and if possible chests/barrels/sarcophagi) to show. It is also a nice feature to be able to have them highlighted in blue on the map, as it does in hellfire (the items highlighted on the map are only the ones visible on the screen).

I couldn't get Ulmo's Stash DLL to work with the injector. The link to the zip file somebody posted earlier in the thread was missing a dll, but I was able to get it from the Hell mod, and made a new zip.
Attachment:
DiabloStash.zip [62.48 KiB]
Downloaded 2399 times
He has a Loader.exe file which loads the stash and starts the game, but this prevents playing on Battle.net. His stash, however, works very well. It would be great if it can be loaded with the injector, after we log into Bnet. I think this might be the easiest solution to get a stash functionality. Maybe Battle.net Warden protection can be bypassed, but there is always the possibility that it might be updated in the future (as they have done many times) and we will be left in the dark again.

I understand now that you placed the buttons for the options menu where they are out of necessity. Also the size seems to be the smallest possible, dictated by the size of the font. I would then suggest, and would really like to see a way to completely hide the options menu and the two small buttons. If you can have a trigger key to show/hide it, I think that would solve the problem. It would make a cleaner look, and will eliminate the possibility for accidental mouse clicks. The people that have played the game enough and duel I think will agree with me. I think it is essential to have the whole screen available to us for mouse actions, including the two little corners. If it is not possible to map any keys to the mod functionality, can it then be possible to have a static small square, at the bottom right, as I suggested previously. By clicking on the bottom right corner, a slide menu for the option can then pop up where it is right now, with its dynamic graphics.

Last edited by kingpetre on 15 Mar 2013, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 04:37 

Hmmm, judging from the responses thus far, I guess it is time for me to give this a shot. I could see this being extremely useful for doing Laz runs and being able to find any jewelry you may have missed when you are blowing up packs of monsters with fireball and chain light.

An in-game stash for multi-player would be awesome. Wouldn't even have to use Blue Scorpio's saver anymore, although it is probably still wise to keep spare items physically backed up somewhere in case of computer issues. I never understood why the makers of this game didn't put in a stash to begin with,; guess they never thought nut jobs like us would still be playing some 17 years later, heh.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 05:59 

FireIceTalon wrote:
Hmmm, judging from the responses thus far, I guess it is time for me to give this a shot. I could see this being extremely useful for doing Laz runs and being able to find any jewelry you may have missed when you are blowing up packs of monsters with fireball and chain light.

...I never understood why the makers of this game didn't put in a stash to begin with,; guess they never thought nut jobs like us would still be playing some 17 years later, heh.

Inventory? heh. They didn't imagine we'd be so picky!

BFBullpup wrote:
It looks like the ability to see the value of blue items BEFORE they are identified has been removed in the latest version. While I understand concerns of legit players, on the other hand the original game doesn't show life remaining for monsters.... Of course I'm only saying it because I brought two blue items to town and it turned out they were 1 gold sell values. :-P Would it be possible to add an option for that so players can decide? At first I wondered if it would affect the XP contests in the leaderboard here but then I realized that top XP gainers focus on killing rather than picking and rearranging stuff in their inventories.

I, having participated in the leaderboards will most definitely pick and choose which items to carry to town even whilst I compete. I very much consider it against the spirit of legitimacy to be aware of item properties before they are identified. This takes away a lot of the decision making/time from the game.

I find the XP bar pretty useless for higher levels. It is cool seeing some of the monsters life for the first time though! It is more or less a novelty feature for me, but probably very useful for low lvl and Iron Man games. I will never use it in an iron man game or during low level play because it gives a big advantage, especially against bosses. I really can do without the clutter. That said, I totally understand players using the XP bar(it's in virtually every game since Diablo) and do not mind their use of it. The un-id'd properties is taking it a little too far though.

Tiron wrote:

I like every bit of that idea Tiron. Especially the only in town part. If you implement a stash I will most definitely use it. I will miss Ulmo's Stash, but that's not your fault! I wouldn't worry about trying to figure out his code, you got a good thing going with this.

Final notes:

1: I'm glad adjusting the XP bar isn't on your list of things to do. It is something I don't really use anyway, and it seems I'm the only one who it seems wanted it adjusted.

3: I'm with Petre on the item drops. I am a fan of simple, hence my continued attachment to this game(simple in RPG terms). I would love to see what it looks like without borders around the item names and/or with just highlighted items as if you had scrolled your mouse over them.

2: Saving the window positions and settings would be GREAT! Pardon my noob knowledge but isn't this sort of thing sometimes done with an .ini and .xml file? Just curious.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 05:52 

Updated once again.

Window states and selected settings are now saved to the registry! Windows you close will STAY CLOSED!

Darker colors all around.

Tilde key hides taskbar.

An .ini can be used for user-configurable options, but usually only when there is no better way. Since you can manage all settings and options from inside Diablo, it seems redundant to make you keep track of a file that saves them all. Using the registry is easier, doesn't matter where you move the dll, and is more invisible to the end user. I don't see a reason not to use it.

I am going to start on the stash next I suppose. It will only be accessible in town. I'd like some feedback on this before I finalize anything... How much detail should I go into when displaying the list of items? Names only, name and damage / armor? Should I go deeper and list magical attributes? Should there be a maximum number of items?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 08:54 
Site Admin

Suggestions to the stash:

I would like to see the same information displayed as Griswold, Adria, Wirt and Pepin are showing.

Amount of items... hmm if you have to put a limiter, make it like... 50-100?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 09:07 
Site Admin

A few things about the item stash.

DiabloStats 1.5 will have the option to upload stash-items as well as character data. This will list all the stash items on your profile here on Tristr.am so others can see them.

This is still in the making, i have added support to upload .itm files from a specified folder.

At this time only .itm files from Blue Scorpios Diablo saver are supported. They are 400 bytes in size, the first 32 bytes are added by Diablo Saver, and after that follows the 368 bytes of item data.

When you have decided on a storage format i could add support for that in DiabloStats as well.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next