NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is this a bug or some people can play in B.net?
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 20:43 

So yesterday I logged into B.net and as I joined the Void channel I read this message:

Joining channel: The Void
There are currently 28 users playing 5 games of Diablo, and 20034 users playing 12013 games on Battle.net

This makes no sense to me, if B.net for D1 is closed how there can possibly be 5 games still running? I know this must be some kind of bug, but still it surprises me how B.net "thinks" there are people that are playing D1.

PS. How do I post screenshots from Diablo in the forum post, I tried to attach it as file but I can't upload it as .pcx nor as .pdf , sorry for the newbie question :/

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Is this a bug or some people can play in B.net?
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 02:54 

That's a good question. Here's another: How can 28 users fit into 5 games that can hold no more than 4 players each?

Converting .pcx into .jpg works for me.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 10:20 

Sadly it looks like B.net for legacy games is dead with no means to connect for gameplay, only for chat. Also noticed the 28 users online in 5 Diablo games message.

Also, I have no confirmation though, but there's a channel on twitch with Diablo music on and a stale picture message about Legacy B.net is dead. So I assume Starcraft and Warcraft B.net edition doesn't work too.

Also, since Blizzard are merging servers (reference to Diablo2 news messages at login) I assumed they maybe changed ports for TCP/UDP portforwarding. Spent a few hours in the night checking and I couldn't adequately connect for gameplay with D1 client. So if it's not ports, then maybe Blizzard are now restricting client access. Meaning D1 cliens (DRTL) are restricted. Since pretty much D1, D2, SC1 and up to WC3 are same servers, just different interfaces for the game clients.

Another observation, that IF you mess up with the D1 folder and TRY to connect to B.net - you get advised to download a new patch (software update) for D1! And it downloads and even tries to Apply, but for me it always fails.

Some years ago some of us were messing with a small protocol program, which would let you connect to B.net Diablo1 while using Warcraft2 CD Key AND it would let you make OP channels, whisper and, most importantly create Diablo1 games. This could be very well our last resort. BUT the twist is - we all need different Warcraft2 CD Keys and I think they are muted and banned regularly. This could work IF SC1 and WC2 are still allowed to be connected to Battle.net.

Otherwise we have GameRanger, Tungle, Hamachi...
Also, since I've got a second laptop, I'm trying to run a PVPGN Server. Few years ago it was a lag fest, but it was running on my personal laptop which I was also using for my daily stuff.

Sorry for the long post, though.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 18:24 

Thanks for replying Xxera & lvl1 ,

I think the number of playes displayed is showing how many people are in B.net , therefore in both channels and games. I actually tested joining multiple times B.net from different users. Well I was actually little confused since the number moved but not appropriately. I joined the Diablo USA-1 channel with 5 characters. The first one showed me that there are 26 players playing 5 games, but the next ones showed 28, and I mean from all 4 different accounts I logged. Then when I quitted and re-entered Diablo and the number didn't change, but when I was left with one account only the number of people playing Diablo was 26 again , so some weird shit is going on. Anyway I don't think this is of much importance since I remember seeing a log in display with like 120+ people playing Diablo 1,when there are few people at Diablo USA-1. I also joined in the Spawn version(The Diablo Demo) and I saw 9 people playing Diablo Spawn in B.net which is highly unbeliavable.

But in all this I remembered something, I remembered about Diablo Spawn. I actually own original disk and installed it, I didn't find any difference when I logged into B.net with the Demo version. And actually I remembered that being able only to chat and not able to create games was exactly what Diablo Spawn was about, also you had the unplugged cable near your icon when you log into a B.net channel. So my point is that since Diablo Spawn blocked the user of creating games and the situation is identical to what logging into B.net with normal copy of Diablo is , well Blizzard actually is blocking us from creating games, so yea...

About StarCraft Brood War I own legit copy of it also and I can give it the CD-key to you lvl1 if you wish to test it. I just installed it and I was able to join the old B.net so if what you say about creating games in Diablo with SC1 key is possible that may be a big deal. We can possibly use the technique I found( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22565 ) , about how to create more that one game in B.net from one computer. Actually hosting couple of games is no big deal with our modern computers so it might actually work out if some of us are able to create games in B.net.

Also sorry for the long post :S

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 08:18 

It's W2BNE cd key that I need - not SC1. If I'm lucky i will find one in a few hours. Currently trying to find the application which let you use W2 for D1. But it was so long ago and I don't remember where I got it from before. Don't even remember the proper name it had.. ahh..

ProfileTristr.am Profile