NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: D1 is 21 years old today.
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 19:49 

Today marks the 21st anniversary of this masterpiece - a game which I still consider to be the greatest of its kind. Most likely, you had to be there to really understand just how much impact and influence this game had - if the countless imitations, inspirations, and mods aren't enough to reflect that. And even after over 2 decades, the replayability, atmosphere, and mechanics are still top notch. Sure, newer games may have more updated 'graphics', and more features/classes, etc, but more doesn't always equate to better. Just look at Diablo 3, which doesn't even have the random dungeon generation that D1/2 does, as an example!

D1 is unique in that the games mechanics are more simple and straight forward, yet more complex at the same time compared to its successors. To think that this was going to be turn based too! Blizz made the right decision in making it live action instead. Even though it only has 3 classes, they are so well balanced and versatile compared to other similar games. Diablo 2, for all its popularity, does NOT have the same versatility with its chars as D1 does. You can't play a melee mage on D2, or a caster Barb! Can you on D1? You betcha - D1 warriors, with the right equipment, can be pretty good at casting, and sorcerors likewise, have viable melee builds even in the endgame. The Rogue class is unique in that it is good at any type of combat yet takes the most precision to play - there has been very few instances in most modern games where a class has been good at everything and can be played in so many ways. The Bowazon build on D2 is considered by most to be obsolete if not entirely unplayable for the endgame - but on D1, a bow Rogue is still very much in the conversation when it comes to the subject of powerful endgame chars.

The tile system might be considered old and outdated by some, but it made for an environment that allowed for (and often required) the use of very strategical and tactical play, in both PvM and PvP.

The itemization is simple and to the point. This is one area where perhaps more modern ARPG-type games improved upon from D1, though considering the superb class balance and dynamics, D1's item system is still very solid. Mostly, the uniques are a bit underwhelming and usually are inferior to the blue magical items, with few exceptions. This does, unfortunately, put some serious limitations on the types of builds you can play when it comes endgame time, but even most newer games also have limits of some sort, in this regard.

All that being said, I'd like to hear some of your guys stories and background on how you came across and got into Diablo 1. What are your favorite aspects of it? What is your favorite class, and/or favorite build?

Last edited by FireIceTalon on 31 Dec 2017, 21:36, edited 5 times in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: D1 is 21 years old today.
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 20:08 

Happy Birthday Diablo!

I Agree with Everything you've said 'FireIceTalon', this Game is Frankly the Best Game Ever. I Simply do not get Tired of Playing it Over and Over Again. Diablo 1996 was the First Game I Ever Played Online as a Kid and it Impacted me Greatly and still Does.

This Community Along with our New 'Discord' Server are Essential Additions.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 02:27 

IMO D1 has the best game play, and is overall just more bad ass than other games.

Also all of the key elements are there. If you want to grind item finds of EXP it is right there for the taking... just more straight forward... no need for "rushes" or the need for other players in order to make EXP worthwhile.

Its also nice that we can no-life for a month or two and make significant progress (or even hit level 50 in 1mo) while in other games they demand about 10X the "no-life factor" for the same level of "establishment".

D1 = best game :)

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 17:44 

Um, what?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 18:17 

I'm playing a melee sorceress on d2 with enchant, warmth and fire mastery maxed. It's playable. And I'm currently at nightmare hardcore too.

Yeah, D1 and D2 are best two games which I can't quit. The addiction of the two games are very strong. I knew about D1 for a long time since I was a kid. I mean, I knew there was some game named Diablo, but back then I couldn't come across the cd. And since I had no internet I couldn't get it. Then somewhere in 2009ish + or - one year I finally downloaded it and come up to b.net. First impression was - FU*K!! THE GAME SUCKS!! Well, because the Butcher killed me. Well, it took me about 2 hours more to get addicted. Me and a buddy of mine played up until hell diablo was killed and I've continued to roam b.net alone. Then started d2 on private b.net server and it was a disappointment. I've played it on and off for a few months and eventually ended up in DEU-1 on EU servers.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 23:36 

Diablo 1 is such a dope game. happy 21st birthday to it!

ProfileTristr.am Profile