NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: First night back, full clear levels 1 - 5, new Warrior
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 02:35 

I've been lurking on this website for years, I was even an active member a long while back. But as most of the Diablo populace I am no longer very active playing this game... once a year or so I brush off the dust and take a new character down into the labyrinth... sometimes I'm bored before I get out of the church and turn the game off... sometimes I'll make it to caves and or hell... rarely do I make it pass normal/hell difficulty before I return to the present in regards to fulfilling that gaming itch.

Iron Man and playing variant characters is fun and adds an extra bit of challenge but at this point, the vanilla game offers enough challenge to me. This might not sound like a whole lot to the veteran community, but I had fun- here's my story:

I have no prior saves, and tonight may mark the first night I begin caring about a 20+ year old games character file... I had a lot of fun playing solo tonight in an open public game on US West (note I opened my ports but still not sure about being able to join/host games at this point). What was a typical quick nostalgia fix turned into a bit of a session... the moment I decided to actually face the Butcher like a man and not stair trap him like I've done so many times in the past...

I had found a Mace of Quality that allowed me to stun lock the Butch at a pretty decent rate... I went toe to toe with the Butcher at level 5 (or 6?) and killed him with only having to drink about four potions or so. Prior to killing the Butcher demon, I had found a 67 charge Holy Bolt Stave, and gotten a little lucky on shrines (glimmering and eldritch)... Feeling high on this kill, I descended to level 3.

Level 3 had an opening downwards to the right, and a door diagonal right across for the stairs I came down. Naturally I went down to the right, and cleared out some trash mobs... it was only about two or three small/medium sized rooms... so the rest of this floor was through that door I saw... I opened it, and King Leoric was on the other side... using my Mace of Quality I began to dispense with a whole lot of melee skeleton mobs, while the King paced back and forth, staring at me... luckily there were no bow and arrow skellies at this point.

King Leoric finally charged out of the room, and I attempted to engage with my Mace of Quality. I was not able to stun luck him as much as I'd like, and I had to run... he followed me all the way back down to the little pocket of rooms I cleared out... I tried to equip my Holy Bolt stave, but I was not able to lock him with that either, was missing way more then I wanted to, and eventually booked it back up towards his mobs.

By some magical grace of the Labyrinth, the King stayed put in that pocket of rooms (parked him without using a TP). At this point I proceeded to clear out the rest of level 3. I went back to town, sold some things, bought some other things, re charged my holy holt stave and made the decision that the King will fall before I enter level 4.

This is when I discovered an interesting strategy for killing King Leoric when you don't have a whole bunch of other little skeletons trying to kill you at the same time. There were two medium sized rooms split down the middle with a fence/door. As I realized that I could not stand still and blast King Leoric with my holy bolts, I realized that I could dance around him, and he would just stand still at times giving me free shots. The Skeleton King would circle me as per his AI and then charge through the door way... and sometimes just stop and look at me... I took advantage of this and danced circles with him, and then would just unload Holy Bolts in a straight line through that door way every time I changed sides... eventually I melted him with Holy Bolts and he dropped a Scimitar with Heavy/Leech stats... it was a nice little sword that got me through all of level 4 :)

I was going to call it a day on level 4, when I started to just explore around level 5... ran into a unique flesh clan archer and his pack of bow wielding goat men... I was able to kill this mob, and when I killed the unique (I forget his name, it was like darkbow or something) he dropped a Unique claymore! The Bonesaw allowed me to 1-hit my way through all of level 5. And on level 5, as if the RNG gods were shining down on me, gave me a Creepy and a Abandoned Shrine... I also bought a shield with a +3 stars suffix which completely negated the -5 to Dex the Bonesaw hit me with... but the +10 points to damage and +10 points to strength was very nice... Level 6 was where things started to slow down a bit, and I decided was a good time to call it a night.

First time in a long time that I had a lot of fun with this game, and didn't quickly start feeling tedious and old... I can feel the challenge (I didn't mention I definitely lost some equipment to durability breaking), but I pressed forward. It's not normal to feel like RNG is on your side for once, especially with this game.

Anyway, I'll probably be around, let me know if anyone has any toons they are looking to level up... I'm about level 12 now, want to see how much the fun lasts this time. Probably more so if I can find some people to co op with.

Cheers.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: First night back, full clear levels 1 - 5, new Warrior
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 03:00 

I love it when I find a useful unique item with a low level character.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 03:37 

I've always found the end-game and playing high level chars to be far more fun and interesting than early game. As your char progresses and you get better gear, and as the challenge increases, it creates more interest into delving into and learning the deeper mechanics of the game.

I was never one to complete normal difficulty and just call it a day. Even beating it on the hell difficulty isn't really a completion of the game - it was never about beating the game, its about making the best character possible and mastering the games mechanics. And of course once you master hell difficulty and build an end-game char, there is PvP, which is a whole other world in and of itself......

the difference in perspectives between someone who has completed normal difficulty and someone who has mastery and knowledge of end game mechanics is day and night.

It's cool that your interest in this game has been sparked once again, and as you progress and learn things about the game you didn't know prior, I think the game will become more fun and in turn spark your interest even more.

Some of us here, myself included, have chars that are 10, 12, 15+ years old and we STILL play them (mostly high end hell/hell co-op or PvP).

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 15:42 

So the luck with this character has continued... and now my inventory is maxed out as I am carrying around a Stonecleaver (with a high AC plate its not terrible in normal so far without a shield... but I am still holding on to my shield and Bonesaw) and a Thundercall (really cheap recharge at Adria) which is pretty decent for killing archers/succubus that run away.

I was hoping to catch some people on battle.net, whenever I do play I hop onto US West and go to Diablo USA-1 but I never catch anyone on. I even try to host open games on battle.net, but I am unsure if I am able to host... I did open my ports.

I will be bringing this character into normal/hell today (he is level 20 now), would definitely love the opportunity to co op, and possibly mule some items lol. I tried to get DStats working as to show that I am online playing on this site, but right now Diablo crashes anytime I minimize (yay windows 10) so when I'm playing I have to fully shut down the game when I'm done it's not possible to minimize/keep games open myself at the moment.

Anyway, maybe I'll check out that Discord server I see posted around on this forum.

See you all in hell!

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 17:01 

Thank you 'norestforthewkd' for Sharing your Stories with us,

Diablo Is always a very Exciting Experience for me, Especially Creating a New Character and Starting the Journey.

I Hope this Time you will Stick Around Longer and Attempt New Challenges.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 18:50 

norestforthewkd wrote:
right now Diablo crashes anytime I minimize (yay windows 10) so when I'm playing I have to fully shut down the game when I'm done it's not possible to minimize/keep games open myself at the moment.

I would recommend trying this compatibility patch here:

http://diablopat.ch/index.php

Has worked perfectly for me so far, and in fact is the only way I can play Diablo on my windows 10 laptop.

ProfileTristr.am Profile