NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Playing Diablo in Windows 10
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2016, 06:40 

Guide updated Feb 14, 2018. I removed Aqrit ddwrapper and added DDrawCompat (Option 3 and 4).

I’m uploading a new guide for running Diablo 1 on Windows 10. In Windows 10 Microsoft is pushing every now and then new versions through updates that are essentially reinstalling it. I will try to keep this guide updated, as most likely things might change in future windows 10 updates.
Regardless of the options below the game must be installed in a NON protected folder, example: C:\Games\Diablo\.

Option 1: Run the game normally. Win10 runs the game in a compatibility mode by default and as a consequence any mod used by the game must be run as admin. Once inside the game ALT+TAB and Windows keys will be disabled, so it will be impossible to have access to the desktop while the game is running. The regular Diablo Clicker V2 will not work since it has to be started while the game is running, but Diablo Clicker V3.1 works when run as admin (properties/compatiblity). Diablo Torch doesn’t work also, but Ulmo's Stash works when running loader.exe as admin.

Option 2 (Strange Bytes Patch): The game will run normally, not as admin, and there is no need to run any of the mods as admin as well. Rename Diablo.exe to something else, ex. Diablo1.exe. Start the game directly from the exe file or update the shortcuts to point to the new file. Install Strange Bytes Patch. I have found the game to be slightly choppy at the start menu which isn’t a bit deal, but can be fixed by forcing Vsync off for Diablo1.exe inside Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst. Logging into Bnet and using Diablo Torch are not possible when using Strange Bytes Patch. Ulmo's Stash can be used after editing PlugUlmo.ini to point to the new Diablo1.exe.

Option 3 (DDrawCompat experimental): Similar to option 2 above the game will run normally, not as admin, and there is no need to run any of the mods as admin as well. Again rename Diablo.exe to something else, ex. Diablo1.exe. Start the game directly from the exe file or update the shortcuts to point to the new file. Install the experimental version DDrawCompat. Alt+Tab using this patch does not work when Diablo is still in the start menus, but it works when inside a game. Logging into Bnet is possible, but any text inside the Bnet interface does not show, so it is not really usable. Unlike option 2 above with this method both Diablo Torch and Ulmo's Stash work normally after their files are edited (in notepad) to point to the new Diablo1.exe: Inject.bat for Diablo Torch, PlugUlmo.ini for Ulmo's Stash.

Option 4 (DDrawCompat v0.2.1): Follow the instructions from option 3 above except install v0.2.1 DDrawCompat. When using v0.2.1 the game is perfectly stable and Bnet works, but Diablo Torch does not work. Also a game capture software (Fraps, Hypercam2 or Nvidia ShadowPlay) doesn't seem to work when using v0.2.1.

Regardless of how the game is run Diablo Torch (once injected), Ulmo's Stash or Strange Bytes Patch will disable the ability to log into Bnet. Online play is possible by installing first IPXWrapper and then using Hamachi, Tunngle or Evolve. Any old saved stash files from Diablo Torch or Ulmo's Stash must be renamed when using Diablo1.exe to play the game. For Torch: TorchStash0.tsf into DTorchStash0.tsf and for Ulmo's: Diablo_MP.st into Diablo1_MP.st.

Last edited by kingpetre on 15 Feb 2018, 04:08, edited 37 times in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Playing Diablo in Windows 10 and beyond
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 21:38 

Along with Alt+TAB not working without the strangebytes patch on Win10, D1 sometimes crashes at start if a button is pressed to bypass the intro movies, but once at the main menu it runs stable. Using Hamachi, Tunngle or Evolve doesn't seem to be the ideal solution, but after some testing I found that d1 runs fine in multiplayer with all three of them. Unlike Bnet those programs seem to be constantly updated and I think offer better network security to Bnet.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 16:58 

Unfortunately the windowed mode doesn't lock your mouse to the window, and when you move your mouse outside you lose the game cursor and have to tab back to the diablo window to regain it.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 19:18 

Try the program CursorLock - works like a charm. Just set it up correctly - it'll create a shortcut that will launch the application with your cursor locked inside.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 19:34 

Just noticed that alt-tab doesn't seem to work at all (does absolutely nothing) while running diablo with this patch. I think they may have changed that with the Win10 anniversary update, because I think it worked last time I played. So that makes windowed mode pointless if you can't switch out, which would be the case if you used a cursor lock program. Would be a great solution otherwise

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 20:37 

I got an automatic update on windows 10 one day ago and alt+tab doesnt work right now. Im playing full screen version, it worked previously to that

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016, 22:05 

Is it possible to alt+tab if you play strangebytes patch with fullscreen?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 09:02 

-+Warriouge+- wrote:
Is it possible to alt+tab if you play strangebytes patch with fullscreen?

Nope, the Win 10 anniversary udpate messed this up. This is their "fix" for running d1 in win 10. Very annoying

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 09:47 

Does Ulmos stash work now with the anniversary update? I use bluescorpios saver, but now since I cant alt+tab I cant mule items -.-

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 23:00 

Ulmos works, and you can still use bluescorp just switch to windowed mode. Its not ideal but it does the job. I really wish you could use Torch with strangebytes

ProfileTristr.am Profile