NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solo Warrior IronMan
PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 00:39 

Catalyst posted a lot of good info,

Another important thing is whether you are playing ironman on single player or in multiplayer by yourself. Multiplayer monsters have about twice the health (I forget personally if they do more damage or have any other different stats)

In the solo tournament I was very very lucky to get to nightmare level 10. That run I had two staves of healing and ID'd a bow in hell in desperation to get a fire bow. decent jewels too. also illusion weavers in nightmare have a retarded amount of AC.

If you want to talk to people who regularly do pretty well Catalyst and Babanimx (baba used to stream ironman a lot). Tsundere and hscorp i think were really good if they're still around. Even then, an ironman victory in normal in multiplayer is rare, I think baba has 3 or 4 victories highlighted on his twitch channel, and thats impressive. Edit: he has 10 victories lol Singleplayer is way easier but everyone likes lockin rules more. More challenge and accomplishment.

Code:
Other tips I heard was starting with a decent AC small shield can be better than an ID scroll from adria,

Edit: WRONG, Always get ID scroll imo

Items with -2 to -3 damage from enemies can make lightning attacks do very little damage (lots of ticks of small damage, more use out of the flat number), can be situationally useful.
Code:
I theorize saving lots of IDs for bows for a chance at a fire bow might be viable.

Edit: WRONG, fuck bows, a white bow is fine, try to get a good weapon and jewels above helm armor shield, but fuck IDing bows. Fire arrow bows are the only thing that stops enemy hp regen and if you shoot them diagonally (across tiles) they can bug and do way more damage. Also I wouldn't worry about negative shrine effects on random chance ones, just make sure you killed all the monsters nearby so you dont get phased to your death.

also number 1 tip, ALWAYS OPEN CHESTS AFTER LEVEL 4 FROM AN ADJACENT TILE. I had a few runs end from the fire arrow chest trap glitch that just insta-kills you. If you spin the screen until the tiles look like a chess board, you would open it from a tile that shares a line with the adjacent tile, up or down or left or right. like how a rook in chess would move. that glitch is bullshit!!!

Last edited by Chris on 23 Aug 2017, 05:26, edited 3 times in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 26 May 2017, 10:39 

Awesome tips thank you so much. Does anyone have a link to the true ironman rules? I mean i am reading this http://www.sarouk.net/ironman.html but i was under the impression that you could not use town portal scrolls to stash anything in town. If you can then this is more doable than i thought, but still damn hard.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 02:05 

We all pretty much play by these rules nowadays: http://freshmeat-blog.de.tl/Rules-%26-S ... -STH-2.htm

Here is the original ruleset as well as reference to variations:

http://www.realmsbeyond.net/diablo/vironman.html#rules

You can of course play any ruleset that suits you.

I think what's important in solo warrior ironman is to get a good heal staff (close to 40 charges) early as well as a healing book. You can use your mana for healing at least until early caves, so you wil have a use for your level up mana and blue pots. You should restart your run if you don't have those by level 4. A staff of holy bolt can also make Leo a lot easier. What's most dangerous in early game (catacombs and beyond) are traps as mentioned above. I usualy open chests at the end of the floor. Try to use MS Shrine or MS Scrolls to your advantage. If you get early fire resists it's alot easier. Save all your id's until caves. I usually id my first items (yewelry) at lvl 9 or beyond. Depends how much id's you found. If you get a good unique item you can spend id's earlier. Also if you have the feeling you hit a wall with monsters it's usually a good time to id some items. What'S important to get through caves and hell is usually: Don't get more than 1 balrog type monster level. They will drain your recources too hard. Everthing else can be handeled by careful positioning and scouting. You also have to probably use bow extensively going into hell.

You should also keep your blocking bonus by keeping the game up as long as you can. Makes it a bit easier.

Having a victory with warrior is actually pretty common, rogue is a lot harder imo. Unfortunately I couldn't acieve any sucessful solo nightmare contiuation game yet.

In the past I started witing a guide for ironman with screenshots and videos, accumulating all my experience. Unfortunatelly it was never continued :>

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 15:39 

I disagree with tsundere on restarts and holy bolt.

In my opinion, if you do not restart the game but keep on trucking, you are likely to learn new ways to conserve your resources or kill enemies. Using mana early in the levels is, of course, a good way to conserve more valuable potions, but frankly, if you are skiled enough in the game to be going for Iron Man, your inventory will not be enough to store all those red potions that you find until late catacombs at the very least. A book of healing, therefore, is not nearly as important as a healing staff, even though it would increase the healing from the staff a bit, too.

King Leoric is not very difficult, if you don't have to fight him with a club and have armor that isn't garbage. Personally, I tried to Holy Bolt him as a warrior, but this characte' casting speed and accuracy suck so much that it's just better to beat down on him with a mace. I have done it not once without drinking a single potion. Just make sure you face him 1 on 1, and try to make it the last encounter on the level - if you meet him too early, running deeper into the labyrinth may be the only way to live - you will wake up more enemies, but King Leoric will probably lose you, his way blocked by all the numerous skeletons in his guard. Alternatively, if the scouted area is already large enough, you can make him lose you. He is fast, but he doesn't constantly move - he stops sometimes - and that will let you run away. Then you can merrily smash all his skellies to bits, clear the level, and THEN beat down on the big boney bully.

As far as hell is concerned, I have yet to figure out a way to deal with magi without burning through all your healing resources. Melee weapons just don't do it, and due to the nature of their movement, you can rarely hide behind an obstacle - especially against cabalists because only solid walls stop their lightning, not mere impaled bodies. The Vizier and co did me in when I was doing my last run - just burned though all my resources, and that was it. How does on fight the Vizier?
I expect one should still use a bow to keep away, and those magi have no armor which will help hit them, but they're gonna teleport around and then try finding the one you were just shooting...

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 19:14 

yeah the biggest roadblocks imo seem to be balrogs, plaguewrath, leo, mages, and sometimes lava demons. Of course the worst thing ever is bosspacks spawning near a level entrance but thats kinda rare. I might just be a noob at doing leo but if you all you have is a mace and like 25-30 AC even with lvl 3 cleared he can still wipe you seems like.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 11:21 

Healing book is also important because you can conserve your staff early on, and by coming into hell you might already have identified some mana adders and can use the spell again. Of course you should use your brain and not restart your run if you think ou are fine with only a healing staff or when you found two of them. I woudn't continue a run without a healing staff in church just because I played a ton of those runs and in the end they are a waste of time more often then they are not. Yeah sure one run I had a healing staff drop on 14 but how often is this going to happen?

If I find a holy bolt staff I carry it to lvl3 sometimes and if I can't melee Leo because I'm under-leveled or don't have the EQ, I save the 4 points of magic and just holy bolt him down. Note that in most regulations you can opt to skip leo so in the worst case you can also just leave him be.

@the Vizier

You have to bow him, there's no other way... Use solid walls to snipe them without geting damage yourself, when possible. If that's no option try to split them up. Once in a while of them teleports and splits from the pack. If you found a magic adder early on and read a book of firewall (which is rarely the case) it's also an option. However you do it Cabalists on 15 will always cost you a lot of recources, so try to conserve more early so you don't run dry later (which is not possible every run, sometimes it just won't be feasable)[/color]

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 12:58 

It's always a mixed bag for a solo warrior vs leoric, even if you manage to clear everything beforehand. Your effective chance to hit often makes it feel like a dice roll, but luckily you often find more potions than you can carry to the next level (assuming lock in variant).

Assuming you get to lvl8:
50 + 60/2 + 8 + 20 - 70 = 38%cth in melee
50 + 10 - 2*14 = 32%cth in magic

I would still favour melee over holy bolt, but I can see that it is not a big stretch to consider using the staff. The issue I have though is having to divert points to magic this early for questionable benefit (even if you do find a healing staff, I do not think one often needs it that urgently at this point in time).

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 18:54 

As far as I can recall, one should be able to reach level 9 before fighting him at the end of level 3. Not speaking of getting ambushed at the start of the level, of course.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2017, 21:22 

Well I just had a run and I cleared everything before doing Leo and unfortunately I couldn't hit level 9, so that's certainly possible.

I noticed something about Holybolt, and I think I mixed that up with rogue. Starting Magic is only 10 (I thought 15) and you need 20 Mag for the Holybolt staff (I thought 19) so you should never use holy bolt vs Leo. Sorry it seems I'm really rusty XD

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 17:33 

In response to your question; how often do you have successful IM as Warr?

Well, the short answer is it entirely depends on whether or not a Scavenger's Carapace drops or not.
=P

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next