NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Solo Warrior IronMan
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 13:51 

I've got a question to solo ironman players out there. How often do successful runs happen for you? I'm working on doing it but i am allowing myself to dupe identify scrolls when i need. Seems pretty damn hard/impossible to pull off consistent runs no matter how good you are.

Basically just wondering how rare solo warrior iron man runs are.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Solo Warrior IronMan
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 14:48 

You may find these threads interesting:

The Two-Handed Warrior Walkthrough
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1097

A different way to play Diablo - "Classic Anti-grind"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1303

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 23:49 

So far none of my runs have been successful. The deepest I got was late level 15, at which point my healing resources ran out - I had made a strategic mistake of keeping 6 potions instead of a low-charged healing staff - had I chosen otherwise, I probably would have made it, but it doesn't count :)
I haven't done too many runs after the triple win I had with Plague and FoxHound.

Usually, identify scrolls are put to a better use if they're saved for the very deep levels, since the magical properties on items dropped there can make a tremendous difference compared to many items encountered earlier.
Know your item sources! For example, unique monsters never drop cursed items, and their quality level is +4 compared to a normal monster drop of their kind.
Leo's drop may be identified if it is on a good base item - a mail, a basty or a piece of jewelry - for example, I got an Amber (+18%) Ring of the Moon (+5) in my current run from him. I deigned to identify it because I was rocking aabout 10 scrolls of identify. If I had like about 3, then I would've been still saving them.
An easy choice of identifying an item or not is when it is unique. You have the foreknowledge of its properties and can decide whether it's worth it. Identifying a Civerb's Cudgel in level 2, for example, makes for a potionless melee Butcher butchering, and the weapon is very very strong later on, too. For example, in my current run I was lucky enough to find the Executioner's Blade on level 4 - identified it immediately. Totally worth it.
Be on the lookout for Glimmering shrines, too - which is why you want to slot magic jewelry that you're not gonna spend your scrolls on in your equipment slots. If yo find such a shrine, make sure to clear the level first and then put on and into your inventory as many magical items as you can and cross your fingers. You may end up a spoiled child after hitting the shrine, but they don't happen very often and sometimes in the firstmost levels of the dungeon, too.
You may risk touching Goat Shrines and Cauldrons, too. But be warned. It can go either way. It may mess up your stats, for example, and if you have, say, just enough strength to wear your armor, and that turned out to be a mysterious caudron, then you're screwed. Or it can harm your max mana which will make healing more difficult, provided you have learned the spell (and this possibility has triple probability). Or it can indeed identify all your things. Could even recharge all your drying up healing staffs. I rarely take the risk because I don't like the potential danger, but that is only my preference. And if life hits hard and I'm having bad luck with item drops, then I probably would try it, to turn the tide.

As far as how difficult it is to win in solo Iron Man - it is very damn difficult with a warrior, nearly unwinnable with a rogue (you need to be very damn lucky!) and utterly impossible with a sorcerer.

For the first two, all dependa on what kind of items you get and the mistakes you make. Don't be greedy with healing yourself when you need it, and in time, the "quantity into quality" rule will work you you and you'll be getting ever better.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 23:57 

... and my current run ended in late level 15. I got cabalists and snow witches. While those witches are totally OK, cabalists were a nightmare. I cleared everything except the Vizier, at which point I ran out of healing supplies. My only healing staff had 21 charges total (also I found the Protector, but without the ability to recharge it, I had it with 2 carges only). Late game drops weren't fruitful. Got a Gotter from Blackjade, but identifying it wouldn't help me in this level.

How does one even work against all these magi, advocates and the Vizier especially?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 00:26 

It seems to me that an identified Gotter would make it worse against those, and an unidentified one would only help if they were accompanied by something that does physical damage. Oh wait... can their spells miss if your AC is good enough?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 13:01 

Of course they won't miss. Which is why I didn't identify it. Still, wielding a bow against those cabalists just so they wouldn't puff away was very draining.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 14:07 

I have another question, when if ever should you start pumping vitality as a warrior playing ironman? I normally max dexterity, get a little magic depending on the drops and then go full strength. I kind of assumed it would be better to get more str because chasing down advocates and succubi sucks, but im wondering when if ever you should pump da vit.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2017, 18:09 

AFAIK, you desire to indeed go full strength for the sole purpose of being able to put your enemies into hit recovery when you hit them. Being unable to do so makes thing very dangerous indeed. So, no vit...

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 08:14 

Thanks man, yeah i usually do that. at a point i guess it would be more beneficial to go vit depending on your items but that is rare.

Another question, how much more valuable is life compared to leech? I'm doing this single player so i normally have leorics crown, but im wondering i should swap it for a 20vit helm i found. It is tough, life leech pays off sometimes late game.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2017, 11:58 

Life leech gets tremendous when your character level is high, for it gives a major contribution to damage dealt, and that is one of the few things leeching is based upon. I say keep the crown.

ProfileTristr.am Profile