NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Playing Diablo in Windows 10
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 05:40 

You are right, I was indeed using the 0.2.1 version. Just quickly tested the experimental version, and it indeed works smoothly with the latest Torch. Recording with "GeForce Experience" and "Fraps" works too. The missing font on B.net is not a very a big issue, since inserting game names and passwords works, even if you can’t see what you are typing. And for the B.net chat, I always use a chatbot anyways.

Thanks again for sharing and discovering this. Good old BG <3

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 06:01 

Damn, this is great. Much better than patch 2.0.1. Thanks for this.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 07:16 

ALT + TAB does not work for me as well but CTRL + ALT + DEL = Task manager and ESC = Windows Screen but bad solution.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 11:48 

Try to use the following compatibility settings for Diablo.exe:

-Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution
-Disable Fullscreen Optimizations

I can minimize the game window just fine when these are activated.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 23:17 

I think this might depend on whether or not the compatibility registry key exist for Diablo.exe inside \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility. I have the key, I can simply delete the folder for Diablo and that way I don't have to rename Diablo.exe, but very likely upon the next major win update those keys will appear again. Without deleting no matter the settings that I change to Diablo.exe I am unable to minimize the game's window. If I rename the .exe file I can minimize the game just fine, but then it seems to crash without one of the patches upon minimizing it from time to time. It seems much more stable than it used to be, however, so Microsoft must be trying to make those older games more stable. Maybe in another 10 years or so they'll get it right! haha

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 20:58 

As seamless as experimental DDrawCompat is, I still can't get Torch to work with it. Launching inject.bat from a console window I observe no errors. But the mod doesn't seem to be injected.
I tried both enabling and disabling the "run as admin" option for the game executable and the injector console. I tried renaming the game executable to something else. Nothing worked. What do I do?

Still, I don't understand, why is it even suggested to rename Diablo.exe to something else?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018, 17:38 

I wrote a delayed injection script for options I can't tab out, but it didn't help. Using aqrit dll the game tabs out upon injection (no crash), but injection silently fails. DDrawCompat 2.0.1 behaves the same. Trying on the game without any custom ddraw.dll it tabs out and crashes.

Doesn't seem like Torch can be injected without the game tabbing out, and, frankly, in my case, it doesn't want to work at all on Windows 10. Pity.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 13:31 

Catalyst wrote:
Still, I don't understand, why is it even suggested to rename Diablo.exe to something else?

If you open windows registry editor, hit Win+R and type regedit, and then go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility you'll see that there is a folder for Diablo. In that folder there is a registry key for Diablo.exe and what that does is tell Windows to run Diablo.exe with certain compatibility settings. This is the reason why it runs fine on Win10 and is not allowing you to Alt+TAB. This has been the case since Win7, except on Win7 it was not configured for the latest version 1.09. One of the fixes for Win7 was to update the key for v.1.09.

If you rename to Diablo1.exe make sure you edit Inject.bat to point to it. For some reason you can't have the cmd inject it with a delay while in game, many of us have tried as well. With DDrawCompat experimental https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/ ... /ddraw.zip it should work. You can also try a different version of Torch http://freshmeat85.bplaced.net/Files/DiabloTorch.rar. (Shade why is right clicking on your website disabled? It makes sharing links harder!)

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 13:58 

I had done all of the above prior to my first post, except this different version of Torch. Renaming the game and pointing to renamed executable didn't seem to do anything useful. I'll try again.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 15:20 

It works now. It seems I lacked a newer InjectorConsole. I am very grateful for your help and that rar from Freshmeat.

However, stash works both with renamed game executable and without renaming it, it's just that Torch stash's files are named DTorchStash# for renamed executable and TorchStash# otherwise.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next