NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Future of Tristr.am
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 15:31 

Hello fellow D1 Enthusiasts...

While I have seen quite the debate about the current shut down of battle.net, and a decent rallying of players... I believe this issue is more pressing, and hopefully, one we can have more influence over...

The future of Tristr.am

The features and function of this website was revolutionary for its time, and has been supported and left open for us all to enjoy, free of charge, for quite some time...

THANK YOU FOR THAT... Mr.Gore & Mr.Maggot

Sadly, with the recent spam bot invasion, and the lack of developer involvement, the future of this website, much more important to the Diablo 1 community than battle.net, is, in my opinion, in question.

While I have no administrative privileges on tristr.am, players in our discord, seem to think that I do... mainly because I could pm Shade and he is very responsive and gets shit done...

Regardless... we need, at minimum, some way for trusted members of the community to manually add new members to the website.

I have had over 4 players ask me in pm and public chat how they can get onto tristr.am... point is... this game isn't dead but our community currently has a closed gate... we should want more players joining us...

Without developer involvement, if the situation is left as is the community will die.

Take for example if FireIceTalon, and RA-Lx2 quit the game for good... which they have? or are just taking extended breaks to focus on other shit... I dont know, but they seemingly vanished without a trace... and, without new life blood coming into the community, our player base will dwindle and die within our closed walls.

So Please, Mr.Gore &/or Mr.Maggot,

Can we please talk about this? Can you let us know your thoughts? If we know your plans we can at least plan accordingly, if nothing else... I personally would be willing to add members manually, if you would be willing to give me the rights...

And to my fellow Tristr.am users...

Please, contribute to this thread to engage our own community and what we need to do to save it. Let our developers know that you enjoy this project and are concerned with its future as I am. I am sure they will read it, and get back to us, at some point...

Sincerely,

AJ
D1Legit - Discord/Website Admin.

P.S. - I am going to get discord app installed on my personal phone so I will be more accessible to help the community if need be. Thanks again for your love, support, and good games my friends!

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: The Future of Tristr.am
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 23:23 

I was waiting for the Current Situation to Change before Playing Again but Unfortunately, Blizzard Completely Ignored Us All on a Thread that is still alive to this day and was left Unanswered by the 'Classic Team':

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/to ... 276?page=1

This Whole Event Discouraged me from Playing Seriously Since it Basically Kills PvP or PvM with other Fellow adventurers Entirely and you are left Alone on IPX.

Unless we Manage to Create a Commonly Accepted Server or Unless Blizzard answers our Call, which I doubt they will, I Believe I will Play More Recreationally.

All in All, I Support your idea and Agree that it would be Nice if Maggot or Gore could at least, Give Shade a New Position so we can Fix the Issues.

Last edited by Tristram on 05 Jul 2018, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 02:28 

Tristram wrote:
I Believe I will Play More Reacretively.

I assume you mean "recreationally".
Is there another way to play?

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 12:55 

Hey Tristr.am, thanks for the post. In all fairness blizzard pulled the plug on support for Diablo years ago... they simply left it running until it broke...

They really have no incentive to keep it up so I doubt, it’s coming back.

Reality of it is... we have the reg fix, which shows long term promise but the existing PvPGN servers we were leeching off of support either windows 10 or XP not both...

So until we (diablo 1 community) take the time to find or create a server... it’s not the best option IMO

Gameranger works without a hitch for myself, and everyone that I am aware of that has tried it... I have even had random ass players join my games...

We have our discord server and this website to serve as our main community, problem is ... in recent times the owners of tristr.am have been mia and have failed to leave competent people in charge(with the site privileges necessary to run the website.)

This game is still alive, I saw a live iron man stream yesterday and did some laz runs myself...

Hit me up on discord sometime, perhaps we can start some hardcore purist chars together...
Or do an iron man.. and u know I love pvp

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 16:03 

Thank you 'Xxera', I corrected my error. Yes you can play recreationally and Seriously I suppose!

'D1Legit', None of the Options presented so far are satisfactory for me. The Only thing I can see being adopted by all users of our Community is a new Server.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 17:09 

please give gameranger a try..

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 08:37 
Site Admin

Hello fellow Warriors, Rogues and Sorcerers.

Regarding the future of Tristr.am.

The site has been in kind of a limbo for some time due to the spambot issue, for this, we apologise. We would like to extend our thanks to the moderators who have tried to keep the site running without any support despite these issues.

The main issue here is that the site itself, along with the PHPBB forum are both outdated and unmaintained. This is further complicated by the fact that the forum, which is originally a standalone PHP application, has been heavily integrated into the main tristr.am site (shared login and session handling), which makes updating it even more difficult.

To remake the tristr.am code base (which is over 6 years old) and migrate the modified forum to new fresh version would take a lot of work and time. Sadly none of us currently have the time or resources required for a project like that.

The hosting and domain costs are currently paid out of our own pockets, this is also something that we can't keep up forever. We had hoped to get a few donations to keep the site going, but unfortunately this has not been the case.

On top of that, blizzard decided to shut down online support on battle.net. There are ways to fix this by having own private servers (we actually thought about making one), but this idea never materialized.

So here we are. It feels this site is just collecting dust now and we are planning to shut it down for good.

A question to the community, would anyone be interested in hosting a similar site or forum which we could redirect the tristr.am domain to?

best regards
Maggot and GORE.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 13:32 

If it's easier to fix the forum by reversing the heavy integration, I'd do that. If this site is closed, I hope someone salvages the item calculator. If I knew how to do such things, I'd help.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 15:28 

From what I see Tristram is in danger, I don't know what exactly we have to do, but we surely have to do something. Sure, there are still people playing Diablo without the knowledge of the existence of this site, but I think we are the main source of players.

I will just propose a way to solve any or some problems that we are having now. I understand most of us are working and/or having families, therefore we are lacking time. But one thing we can all do is gather some money, we can hire someone to do a new server or make a protection against these spambot or use them otherwise, but money will always be helpful. I personally don't know how much I will be able to give but all hopefully together we can rise an amount that will help this site in one way or another.

About the need for new players, I can propose that we make something like tournament-stream and group commenting in skype or some other content that will be fun for other people to see.

In all said I will be very sad if Tristram shut down, and if it does this will surely mean the dead of D1. Hopefully we can figure out something together.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2018, 01:28 

MaggoT wrote:

So here we are. It feels this site is just collecting dust now and we are planning to shut it down for good.

A question to the community, would anyone be interested in hosting a similar site or forum which we could redirect the tristr.am domain to?

best regards
Maggot and GORE.

Hey Maggot/Gore,

I hope all is well and thanks for the update. Lets not shut the site down. Please check your PM box.

ProfileTristr.am Profile