NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Playing Diablo in Windows 10 and beyond
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 06:03 

Astra - Just buy an old Windows XP machine for $5 so you and Dan can play without all the headache.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 18:51 

That's a pretty horrible thing to call Drew

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 14:38 

Drew said you should start playing Path of Exile with us.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 03:27 

The issue I am having is I downloaded diablo 1 from abandonware and the only way I can go onto battle.net without having the identify version issue is when I just reinstall the 1.09 patch as admin. It wont allow me to get onto bnet if I run diablo exe as admin. Weird...

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017, 16:15 

Hi guys, is any option how to use savers/alt tab the game (win10)? I really need to save items on my hdd... Thank you

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2017, 23:36 

Just back up your characters' save files. They're single_0.sav- single_9.sav and multi_0.sav - multi_9.sav respectively.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 04:00 

Hi guys, just updated my so called Windows 10 compatibility guide, the first post of this thread. If anybody tries to get the game going using my tutorial and succeeds (or not) please reply here so we can make changes.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Playing Diablo in Windows 10
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 22:57 

Guide updated Feb 14, 2018. I removed Aqrit ddwrapper and added DDrawCompat (Option 3). Can use Diablo Torch once again!

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 01:06 

Thanks a mill for sharing this Petre. I just tested it on my main rig, and works like a charm. It’s great to be able to finally run D1 on Win10 without any compatibility settings. I can even tab back and forth flawlessly. The font issue you describe is not present for me, even though I experienced it with the old “Aqrit ddwrapper”. Be this as it may, I unfortunately still can’t get Torch to work. It just won’t load into the game. No matter if I rename the Diablo.exe and the regarding line in Inject.bat the way you mention it. Any suggestions? Do you have the torch files in your Diablo folder? Do you run InjectorConsole.exe prior before you execute Inject.bat?

Another thing I’ve noticed is that recordings applications like Fraps or Hypercam2 won’t be able to detect the Diablo window anymore. All they record is my desktop.

Even with these flaws present, this is definitely the smoothest solution to play good old D1 on Win10.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 03:44 

Hey Shade, you won't believe how I stumbled upon this lol. I was looking for Baldur's Gate 1 DirectDraw emulator, because to play this game I was using Aqrit with the no memory setting you posted here a while back. It works, but today just out of curiosity I did a new Google search to see if anything new comes up. This new DD emulator works flawlessly in BG1, and of course I tested it in D1. I just visited the link again (https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat) this is the main GitHub project page, and noticed that I downloaded the experimental version earlier today. I tested it with the other version (v0.2.1), which I assume is what you are using, and Torch doesn't work with it. Alt+TAB at the start menu and Bnet's text doesn't work with the experimental version, but Torch works; while with v0.2.1 everything works great except Torch.

I haven't used Fraps or Hypercam2 since I upgraded my system, Nvidia Experience now have a really easy way to both record and hardware encode gameplay. I just tested it, and it works with the exprimental version, but doens't work with v0.2.1.

The creator of this DD emulator last released this experimental version on Dec 22, 2016, so it seems likely that for the time being there is no more progress. It's sad that neither of the two versions are quite perfect, but still it is the best we have so far I think. I'll update the main post with both versions.

ProfileTristr.am Profile