NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: Diablo 2: Playing techniques and tricks
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 19:56 

Unlike Diablo, its sequel has sometimes made me very angry, sometimes very frustrated. Partly because of all the hype for end game items, runes and finished character builds.
It seems to take thousands of hours to get a character that would qualify for a more or less finished build with rare and strong items to complement them. I will not sink that much time into milking for those super-duper cool but super-duper rare things! The game is supposed to be action-RPG, not a farm simulator!

Therefore, I am doing my best to enjoy the journey of a growing character, doing my best to find tactical solutions that are available.
Maybe I haven't looked thoroughly enough, but I can't seem to find any kind of guide that helps you learn to work with what you have effectively, all the guides generally encompass finished builds and how you're supposed to have divine items (some builds will ONLY work with that kind of gear!) and all kinds of super rare runewords, while at that point I don't even understand what would be the point of playing - once there is nowhere to advance you will most certainly get bored and stop playing (unless you quit during countless hours of milking!). Especially enraging are builds that can't deal with a great portion of monsters - those who focus on one element to deal damage and then can't do jack to that element's immunes!

So, please, if you know some good guide on playing techniques and tricks or know some solid stuff yourself, do share it here.

I'll go first and write on some things I learned - hardcore mode was the best teacher for me, it made me look into game mechanics more than before and try my best to keep my characters alive.

Some skills that deal damage do not depend on weapon damage - those are usually very strong when synergized well and you don't need uber gear to make it work.

If your character fights from a distance and does not need attack rating, while having a shield, then forget about pumping dexterity to 175+ or whatevermuch you would need to get max block. Vitality for the win, vitality for survival - if you fight from a distance, you shouldn't even let anyone close enough to hit you, and keep away from physical missiles - having max block reduces their chance of hurting you, but if they do, you will die in much fewer hits.

Good armor class can mean quite a lot, if you don't run around like a beheaded chicken around monsters. WALK instead when in melee range, and they won't auto-hit you.

Lag can be incredibly deadly, so if you play alone and hardcore, then SCREW Battle.net!

There are some rather deadly bugs with some enemies. Lightning + another element enchanted uniques are a good example, for they will deal that AoE damage on every hit instead of only when dying - I have only observed this bug on Nightmare, but it is very dangerous, as that damage depends on monster hit points, and those can be very plentiful.
Tomb Vipers in Halls of Vaught have a bugged missile attack. The could of poison these attacks leave behind have some areas that continuously deal a tremendous amount of physical damage and can kill nearly instantly.

Undead dolls are very, very dangerous for melee characters. Their death explosion deals physical damage based on their hit points and can't be blocked. They can kill a character in bare moments with that. Distance fighters should just stay away and avoid the danger altogether. Hirelings and summonables are immune to their death explosion (WTF?!).

Hydras of council members can kill hirelings very fast for some buggy reason.

Amplify damage and decrepify break physical immunity, conviction and lower resist break elemental immunities (conviction does not work for poison immunity).

Salvation is an effective counter against enemy conviction for a paladin.

Melee characters can benefit immensely from having a wand of life tap on switch. There's nothing like 50% life leech.

Items with teleport charges can be used to progress quickly in dangerous areas. For example, in claw viper temple level 2 one can teleport right to the center of the chamber, bypassing Fangskin (unless he is inside that center), which can be very dangerous together with his mob on hell difficulty.

Having your hireling tank for you is always useful, even for melee characters. Better them than you.

Frame speed increasing items are very misleading because of those frame breakpoints.

Some skills help immensely with just 1 point allocated, and their effectiveness doesn't change very much if you allocate more points into them as opposed to into some other skill.

Don't hesitate to retreat if things don't look in your favor.

If there are many enemies triggered, you may want to run back and only pull with you some of them.

Amplify damage is very dangerous for you, especially on higher difficulties, where it should be removed immediately, via town healer or a well.

Offensive jewels can be good in helping your character deal damage, provided you are using a weapon, be it in early game or even much later.

At higher levels you can afford to use charged items regularly - you should be swimming in gold and cover the recharge easily.

If you want to be able to kill all enemies, you need to be able to kill immunes too, so you have to wield different elements or break those immunities (for example, you can wield a wand of lower resist on switch).

That's all I have for now, please feel free to add more!

Last edited by Catalyst on 26 Oct 2017, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: Diablo 2: Playing techniques and tricks
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 20:25 

I don't have time to make a proper response, it would take me too many days with all the experience I have :D
I consider myself to be one of the best d2 players around.
Generally, all these guides that show end game gear from botted items are shit. You don't need thousands of hours to progress in game and kill stuff effectively, maybe a few hours at certain points in the game.
Recently I finished the game in hc with paladin without using a single item, normal to hell, which even for me is absolutely mindblowing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVVRdulTmtM
So if you have any questions feel free to pm me, as I can't fit my d2 knowledge in a single post :D
and yes, hc is the only way to learn game mechanics and get good at it

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 20:34 

When you said sanctuary you probably meant salvation, conviction and lr breaks only certain immunities, most cold immunities cant be broken, defence is generally by far the least important attribute of your character, usually I never pay any attention whatsoever to my defence, going for max block is amazing, but you have to know what you are doing, I guess for new players I would suggest max vita, you should read up some game mechanics if you want to get good at the game, thats it from me I'm out :)

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 21:20 

Salvation indeed. Well, a paladin with no items seems utterly insane... I can do HC pally fairly well, but with items I find ofc. If you melee with a shield of course you want max block. Otherwise? I don't see the point.

Briefly watched your video. That quick Save & Exit sure saves hc lives!
Never tried going for uber blessed hammers. I see it looks rather devastating, but just doesn't seem very paladin-like to me. Maybe I will someday.

I would argue that a melee caracter would prefer to be well armored. It is not as important as many other stats, but still, it makes enemies miss.

ProfileTristr.am Profile