NewsCharacter DBLeaderboardsDiabloStatsTown SquareItem CalculatorForumForumRegister

All times are UTC

Post subject: [WIP] New Engine for Diablo 1
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 10:20 

I came across this game engine for Diablo 1, it comes with a playable proof of concept. Videos and downloads in the link below.

New Diablo Game engine: Khanduras Network

Last edited by qualakon on 20 Sep 2013, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
 Post subject: Re: [WIP] New Engine for Diablo 1
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 18:24 

Older gameplay video: http://khanduras.net/2013/05/diablo-warrior-gameplay/

Last edited by qualakon on 22 Aug 2013, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 19:39 

Wow, this is the most ambitious Diablo 1 project I have ever seen. I just spent a few hours playint it. In a way is an entirely new game. It has a large D2-like sash, it allows to swap 2 weapon styles, it has waypoints, it has new items, items do not get destroyed when Dur goes blow 1 and fighting/moving mechanics work differently. I found some bugs, but once those get resolved it is interesting to see where the creator will take the project from there. So far I'm completely convinced that it has the potential to become a better Mod than Hellfire and The Hell.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 21:15 

kingpetre wrote:
So far I'm completely convinced that it has the potential to become a better Mod than Hellfire and The Hell.

From the Readme:
Quote:
Code and resources for project will be shared once I finish it or get bored and abandon it.

I hope he finishes it and then gives it to the likes of Mordor or Noktis. I hope buddy adds on the Hellfire expansion.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 23:08 

I like Hellfire as much as I like either The Hell or the Awakening, which isn't much. I don't really think that either mod adds all that much enjoyment to make it worth a while. From the little changes I saw so far to the game itself in this new mod, it looks like it might be better than either. And that's on top of the new engine, which seems to be working very well. Mordor has no respect for the game itself, the way he has changed everything looks like some badly made collage using the graphics of what once was a great game.

ProfileTristr.am Profile 
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 17:26 

Quote:
I like Hellfire as much as I like either The Hell or the Awakening, which isn't much. I don't really think that either mod adds all that much enjoyment to make it worth a while. From the little changes I saw so far to the game itself in this new mod, it looks like it might be better than either. And that's on top of the new engine, which seems to be working very well. Mordor has no respect for the game itself, the way he has changed everything looks like some badly made collage using the graphics of what once was a great game.

I'll have to agree with you there, any mod maker has to have a respect for the original game and then try to build off of that. The Hell team saw room for improvement within the original game simply based on data already provided to them on the game disk but I agree that their decisions for the game are sometimes questionable. But I appreciate how they have stretched the limits of Diablo's engine to the max. He's even added extra quests, which to me seems like a big deal.

But this new engine is taking it to a whole other level. If someone were to incorporate some of the gameplay changes from The Hell with this new engine, add some Multiplayer features, we would have a new game. No, it's not Diablo 1 that came out 15 years ago but that's the point of a mod, create something new.

I would love to incorporate Diablo Stats and PVPGN support to encourage legit play on our own hosted servers. I see it as possible but not probable at this point. The D1 community would have to work together. We aren't as large as we used to be..

ProfileTristr.am Profile